New Insights on the Prodigal's Son

I once had the opportunity to hear Jeff Cavins speak at a conference about 8 years ago. He authored a couple of different books and was signing them. I bought his multi-cd Bible study called "The Great Adventure" which goes through Salvation History like no other study you've ever encountered.

Mr. Cavins knew his Bible inside and out yet stated he'd only scratched the surface of God's Word. I was shocked when he said this. I hadn't picked up my Bible in years and a Bible scholar was admitting that he had a long way to go. What did that mean for me? Well, that influenced my extravagant purchase of his bible study and my longing to have a better relationship with God.

Since then I have been attracted to Bible studies and scholarship on the Bible in addition to reading it. I was listening to the radio yesterday and had a new insight on the parable of the Prodigal's Son. I am going to try to summarize what the priest was saying on the radio (I can't remember who the priest was. I will try to summarize and add my own thoughts too).

The Prodigal's Son is about our Father who will always take us back. No matter where we are in life. No matter what we have done. This isn't new to anyone who has read this parable. The new insight was looking at life while at the father's house as opposed to life away from the father.

The priest spoke about the son's life when he was at his father's home. He had everything he needed. He was cared for and healthy, he was loved, he worked for his father and with him.

When he left his father, the son's life was literally in the gutter. He wasted his money, he had no food, he had no clothing and was weak. It was like he was a shadow without purpose.

When we are living with God, within His Laws, our life is flows. We are feed, we are clothed, and we are nurtured with His Word. We have a great sense of purpose even in the smallest things. Anxiety, anger, and frustrations are mere moments because we know that He has a plan for us that is greater than what we can fully understand. Mother Theresa, St Therese and my grandparents were wonderful examples of trusting God's plan for their lives.

It is when we leave God's "house" (no trust, no laws) that our anxiety builds. Our fears take over and we take things that aren't ours like the son taking his inheritance early. We go against His plan and are morally weak (contraception, abortion, co-habitation, relativism, etc).

The father clothes his son immediately upon return, just as God clothes us with love upon our return to Him.

God wants us at home with Him more than anything. He wants us to be the perfect self that He created us to be. But we only can be that with Him. He wants us to make that choice on our own. It is much richer for us to chose Him.

Maybe you have heard it explained this way before. But I haven't thought of the importance of living in God's house in the context of this parable. The idea of that Jesus was trying to send a message about living within God's laws and what that meant for our life is very insightful to me. God's plan is bigger than what we can possibly imagine. We need to live in His household and abide His laws to fully comprehend His plan for us.

Comments

Popular Posts