Truth, Beauty, and Goodness: Beauty in the Home
How do we cultivate beauty at home? Is it possible with a house full of children?
When I am with my children, I have a habit of pointing out anything that looks beautiful to me:
Look at that sunset? All of the oranges and purples!
Do you see that hillside...the way the light peaks through the treetops?
Come and look at the garden...the flowers are so beautiful this morning!
Fireflies, guys! The fireflies are out!
In return, they show me the things they find wild and wondrous.
![]() |
| God's paintbrush...aren't we so blessed to have sunsets! |
Ultimately, I want them to learn to soak in the awe and wonder of God's beautiful design. Intentionally pointing out beauty also keeps my child-like wonder alive. It is very easy to take it for granted.
I found that bringing that wonder and awe into our home is a thoughtful and sometimes lengthy process. I cannot create like the Creator but I certainly can bring beauty into spaces that were otherwise plain.
In our home the walls are painted in neutral and soothing tones with pops of colors and textures in furnishings. I hung original watercolors and acrylics from the local art gallery on one living room wall. I have another large wall that I am trying to find the perfect art piece for right now. The last usable wall is open bookshelves with lower cupboards for our homeschool materials. I designed it and my husband built it. We are so lucky that he is an exceptional self-taught carpenter. Potted plants and statues of saints are tucked in here and there. It is calming and beautiful.
This isn't a museum though. We have seven children who need space to call their own. There is another bookcase that is filled with things for them to touch and take down. The nature basket on the bottom shelf has been growing since our 20 year old was in grade school. Acorns, sticks, autumn leaves, and colorful rocks rest in their basket awaiting little hands.
![]() |
| Our "green" bookshelf. This is pretty tidy considering it tends to be a collect-all. |
The dining room has a chalkboard and a wire for hanging works of art (both made at home and prints that were gifted to me long ago). Candles and fresh bouquets are often a part of our table. It brings a much needed coziness and color to the sometimes cold, harsh conditions of Michigan seasons.
We also love handmade items because it fosters a curiosity of "could I do this too...?" Our kitchen is filled with bowls, plates, and serving bowls that have a real human history. I can tell you where and when I bought them. I have favorite potters that I buy from during their November Potters Guild show. I have one piece that always brings a smile to my face because of its memory of picking it out with my mom. She has the sister piece on her counter.
![]() |
| Our son designed, cut, and welded this lantern. I found a battery-powered light that has a timer (five hours on and nineteen hours off). |
Not everything has to be aesthetically pleasing and perfectly placed. Laundry piles up on my bed waiting to be folded. Paper plates are often shuffled on the table for convenience. The garage is its own animal. However, in our home, we intentionally place beauty inside and outside. We want our children to see that you don't need a huge or perfect home to bring beauty into it. It also doesn't need to be my dream home (craftsman-style) to be a place of delight and beauty.
Although it is a chore to keep clean, it is relatively easy to keep tidy. I am someone who functions better in the tidy atmosphere of "everything has a place and there is a place for everything." This means the counters are cleared and cleaned after meal prep, toys are put away when they are not in use, and cupboards are free of expired items or clutter. This may not work for everyone, but it works for us.
I have never regretted imbuing beauty in our home. Handmade, meaningful pieces create an atmosphere which fosters creativity and wonder. They reflect a higher beauty which is found in His creation.




Comments