Duggars, debt, discipline and decisions...
I borrowed a book written about the Duggars by the Duggars from the library. If you don't know this family let me give you the low down. They have 19 natural children, they live in Arkansas, they homeschool, and they are a very happy and faith-filled family.
I read their book The Duggars: 20 and Counting:raising one of America's largest families-how they do it. I was a little prepared about what I was going to read, as my mom had read it and filled me on bits a pieces of the book. I have to admit that I doubted that anyone with 19 children could be debt-free, have (seemingly)the most happy family on the planet, and not be considered "wealthy."
They proved me wrong.
I am not going to give the book a review. In fact, I think it would be best for you to just pick it up even if you want to give it a good scan. It's worth it. Even if you don't think 19 kids are for you. (By the way, they were on birth control in the beginning of their marriage until they discovered that it was an abortifacient which ended a pregnancy. Many women don't know this because it is conveniently not discussed as a side effect.) They don't push you to have as many children as possible. In fact, the book is just about how they do it within their means and with God guiding their way.
I feel like they have re-lit the fire to become completely debt-free (adding more energy to our goal). The Duggars decided years and years ago to pay for everything in cash. Everything. It just amazed me that when they had a need or a desire to enhance their business they would pray about it together and then it would usually would work out. If they didn't do this, then it wouldn't work.
The Duggars have also inspired a new set of discipline goals that we have for our children and ourselves. I really admire Michelle Duggar for her absolute kind and loving way which she raises her children. I didn't think I would agree with her discipline, but there is nothing that doesn't fit into our philosophies. In fact, it has only improved them.
I have even gone as far as writing down their obedience goals and behavior goals which are on the refrigerator. I have discussed these with the children and I am sure we will refer to them often.
This just goes to show that my judgment was wrong. I knew that they were an extraordinary family, but I didn't realize how much I would like and respect them. I am so thankful that I picked up this book. It reinforced my desire to homeschool as long as possible (through high school), to become completely debt-free, to have a loving home life and to raise our children to become little saints.
I am hoping that Chris will scan the book. It is very inspirational!
I read their book The Duggars: 20 and Counting:raising one of America's largest families-how they do it. I was a little prepared about what I was going to read, as my mom had read it and filled me on bits a pieces of the book. I have to admit that I doubted that anyone with 19 children could be debt-free, have (seemingly)the most happy family on the planet, and not be considered "wealthy."
They proved me wrong.
I am not going to give the book a review. In fact, I think it would be best for you to just pick it up even if you want to give it a good scan. It's worth it. Even if you don't think 19 kids are for you. (By the way, they were on birth control in the beginning of their marriage until they discovered that it was an abortifacient which ended a pregnancy. Many women don't know this because it is conveniently not discussed as a side effect.) They don't push you to have as many children as possible. In fact, the book is just about how they do it within their means and with God guiding their way.
I feel like they have re-lit the fire to become completely debt-free (adding more energy to our goal). The Duggars decided years and years ago to pay for everything in cash. Everything. It just amazed me that when they had a need or a desire to enhance their business they would pray about it together and then it would usually would work out. If they didn't do this, then it wouldn't work.
The Duggars have also inspired a new set of discipline goals that we have for our children and ourselves. I really admire Michelle Duggar for her absolute kind and loving way which she raises her children. I didn't think I would agree with her discipline, but there is nothing that doesn't fit into our philosophies. In fact, it has only improved them.
I have even gone as far as writing down their obedience goals and behavior goals which are on the refrigerator. I have discussed these with the children and I am sure we will refer to them often.
This just goes to show that my judgment was wrong. I knew that they were an extraordinary family, but I didn't realize how much I would like and respect them. I am so thankful that I picked up this book. It reinforced my desire to homeschool as long as possible (through high school), to become completely debt-free, to have a loving home life and to raise our children to become little saints.
I am hoping that Chris will scan the book. It is very inspirational!

Comments
They do seem genuinely nice and honest. I think that is why they are more appealing whereas John and Kate seemed to be in the media for one drama or another.