True Self

When we moved to our home, I felt like I have had to create a peaceful home. In truth, I have had to create peace within. My own peace has come from reading peaceful parenting books and books/websites on spirituality. I've expanded on my spiritual reading to include Buddhism and Native American teachings. Everything that I had read I have shared with Chris and we discuss and apply what would work for us.

It bothers me when this realm of peace is disturbed. Particularly, when I yell at the children or get frustrated too quickly which leads me to not truly listen to them. This shouting and rude behavior toward my children is not the true self that I am. I am calm and laid back. I am forgiving and understanding. I am loving and gentle.

I feel like parents should model their behavior not dictate it. I have to go now, but I need to expand on this more...

Comments

Kaira said…
I'm interested to hear more on this. I've never read anything on Buddhism or Native American parenting. Interesting... :)
Jennifer said…
I have read a lot of the spirituality of Buddhists and just found a great Native American web-based resource (google Native American Code of Ethics). Regarding parenting I have read "Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach for Caring for Yourself and Your Children." I didn't agree with a lot in that book, but I really like the idea of peaceful parenting. I also have "Adventures in Gentle Parenting" which has been an awesome resource for me.
Jennifer said…
I have read a lot of the spirituality of Buddhists and just found a great Native American web-based resource (google Native American Code of Ethics). Regarding parenting I have read "Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach for Caring for Yourself and Your Children." I didn't agree with a lot in that book, but I really like the idea of peaceful parenting. I also have "Adventures in Gentle Parenting" which has been an awesome resource for me.

Popular Posts