On Muffins and Micro Flower Farms

I used to bake bread for our family on a weekly basis. Occasionally, I would use a secondhand bread-maker that was gifted to me. It took less time but it wasn't the same and only made one loaf (compared to my three at a time). 

Knead, rise, punch, repeat. Mmm...I can smell the dough as I type.

I stopped baking when it started to feel overwhelming. Something had to give and it was homemade bread and cloth-diapers. 

Recently, I felt called to reclaim some traditional domestic tasks that I used to do; I have been reflecting on memory and tradition. Many of the things that I did with my older children are missing with my younger ones. I know they won't have the same experience-that is unrealistic. They aren't even being raised in the same house (two vastly different locations/environments--the current one being ideal). However, I want some of the same core memories for them like the aroma of mom's homemade bread.

I know how to make sandwich bread really well. I even have special pottery pieces for baking bread. English muffins are new to me as a home-baker. With the help from The Five Mary's cookbook, the baking journey began. I didn't realize how many steps it would take to make them but it was worth it.  We smeared cherry-almond jam on them and yum! 

The kids loved them so much that a second batch is resting in the refrigerator right now. 


I am also planting a  Micro Flower Farm next spring. I don't have any experience other than growing on my property as landscaping. Right now, I am focused on gaining as much knowledge and experience as possible. 

I began with a soil test, lots of library books, joining local flower clubs, flower farm podcasts, and hours of post-bedtime YouTube. Education, education, and more education.

  
I am looking forward to my results!

 I know there will be plenty of trials; I expect to fail, kill flowers, and have set-backs. BUT, I also expect to feel joy and gratitude, accomplish good and beautiful things, and gain floral and farming knowledge. The next twelve months are dedicated to personal growth in this new field of study. In the future, I hope to build an excellent reputation and provide quality cut flowers.

One of the many gorgeous dahlia's at a local exhibit. 

I feel so blessed that I can do this on our property with Chris' support. I have four small beds, a designed greenhouse, and a cart full of seeds. I know what I want to plant and how big I should start (which is small). 

                   

That rusty shed will be replaced with a large greenhouse and attached enclosed space for tools and machinery.

I also received some really incredible news. A burden that I have been carrying for a very long time has been lifted. It was a complete surprise and I am still in disbelief. I might write about it one day but I am overwhelmed with gratitude for answered prayers. The answer has been no for so long that I almost gave up. This has renewed my imagination and wonder in a deep way. Hope has moved into the space that was occupied with anxiety and fear. I know this is vague but I will have to leave it that way. 

As I write this, I realize how much Proverbs 31 has inspired me throughout my life. More on that later but I am posting it below for anyone else who wants to meditate on it.

(I apologize for the weird copy-paste below.)

Proverbs 31: 10-31 

10        Who can find a woman of worth? 

            Far beyond jewels is her value.

11Her husband trusts her judgment;

he does not lack income.

12She brings him profit, not loss,

all the days of her life.

13She seeks out wool and flax

and weaves with skillful hands.

14Like a merchant fleet,

she secures her provisions from afar.

15She rises while it is still night,

and distributes food to her household,

a portion to her maidservants.

16She picks out a field and acquires it;

from her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17She girds herself with strength;

she exerts her arms with vigor.

18She enjoys the profit from her dealings;

her lamp is never extinguished at night.

19She puts her hands to the distaff,

and her fingers ply the spindle.

20She reaches out her hands to the poor,

and extends her arms to the needy.

21She is not concerned for her household when it snows—

all her charges are doubly clothed.

22She makes her own coverlets;

fine linen and purple are her clothing.

23Her husband is prominent at the city gates

as he sits with the elders of the land.

24She makes garments and sells them,

and stocks the merchants with belts.

25She is clothed with strength and dignity,

and laughs at the days to come.

26She opens her mouth in wisdom;

kindly instruction is on her tongue.

27She watches over the affairs of her household,

and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28Her children rise up and call her blessed;

her husband, too, praises her:

29“Many are the women of proven worth,

but you have excelled them all.”

30Charm is deceptive and beauty fleeting;

the woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

31Acclaim her for the work of her hands,

and let her deeds praise her at the city gates.

Comments

Popular Posts