Slow Down

This year, we made a tough choice. We chose not to enroll the kids in soccer for the fall and spring. Frankly, it was just too much. Last season we had practices on Monday and Tuesday with games all morning and afternoon on Saturday (not to mention scouts also on Monday, WNO and violin on Wednesday, LIFE coop on Friday and Mass on Sunday). While that may be normal for most, we didn't want it to become our normal.

Don't get me wrong. We still have a busier schedule than I would like. Most of the other activities listed are still part of the routine but taking one thing out has changed us. More importantly, our children are genuinely happy.

Slowing down and committing less to outside activities has been our mantra this summer. I KNOW that God does not want our days spent carting our children from one activity to another.

No... I don't think that the plan is to be bogged down with unnecessary busyness for the sake of saying "we did that for our kids." There is a bit of materialism in that and a whole lot of pride.

What do we provide for our children then? We provide a stable and loving home. We provide a safe place to talk about whatever is on their minds. We provide home-cooked healthy meals, clean clothes and a place to play safely. We provide quiet time for thinking, day trips when we need them, and opportunity when it presents itself.

We also provide a slower lifestyle that doesn't compete with other families. Our goals for our children and homeschooling make us unique (just as your family goals make yours unique).

I am not saying there is anything wrong with sports, lessons, or activities but I noticed in the homeschooling world there is pressure to participate. We need to be mindful of our children's real needs and our wants. There is a real trap to "keep up with the Joneses"-homeschool style. I am not judging, I have been there am working on it too.

However, I learned from those in my life that died beautifully old and far too young, that life isn't about the "busy" but about the slow and intentional. It is about the moment witnessed, the playtime had, the card game taught, the board game played, the book read, the arrow shot, the family bike ride, the smile and dance at night with the kids...

Slow down. Enjoy your life. Enjoy your children. Slow down.

Comments

Popular Posts