Sanctifying Grace
Sanctify yourself and you will sanctify society.
-St Francis of Assisi
I am using A book of Saints for Catholic Moms: 52 Companions for Your Heart, Mind, Body and Soul by Lisa Hendey for meditations this year. I have been really enjoying it and recommend it.
I have had many revelations through the scripture in the book. I like reading the short verses Hendey puts in for daily meditations. I usually open my Bible and read on further and ask: What is the context of this passage? What does it mean to the author? To the time it was written? To the Church and the fulfillment of the prophecy of Jesus Christ? To me? It can be a wonderful meditation when I allow time for it.
Lately, I have been pondering sanctifying grace and how it is apparent in my life. I have many opportunities for accepting God's grace through parenting and homemaking. Each time there is a challenge at home, whether it be a child who doesn't want to do school work, a little one who needs a tremendous amount of "mom-time" or even a broken appliance, there is a twinkling moment for actual grace. I have a choice to thank Jesus for that moment or grumble and complain or even lose it.
I have found that when I thank Jesus for that moment, it becomes less...less bothersome, less aggravating, or less stressful. It is a moment to grow closer to God. When I am upset over asking one child to feed the dog four or five times in one morning, I think about how often God has asked me to do something and I have either forgotten or said "no" outright.
Honestly, reflecting on these challenges and really trying to understand myself and my children better happens when I am having a good day. It can be difficult to practice all the time. Emotions boil over, tiredness and stress creep in, but the grace is always there for the taking. God wants us to be sanctified. Thankfully, there will always be more opportunities, apologies, forgiveness and, God-willing, another day with my family.
Remembering God's offer of grace can be relatively easy. One friend hangs post-it notes of the Beatitudes and prayers by the laundry, refrigerator, etc. Another friend often says "Yes, Jesus." which is a beautiful reminder to conform to the Father's will. I have been saying little aspirations (short prayers)..."Yes, Jesus...Thank you, Jesus...I want to serve You through this family...Thank You for this house....Thank You for the gift of home schooling...Thank You for these wonderful children...Prince of Heaven-pray for me..."
I think I am going to post the Beatitudes as well. It can only help :)
p.s. I promise to talk about something else in the next post. I have really been enjoying reflecting on this in writing though and wanted to share.
-St Francis of Assisi
I am using A book of Saints for Catholic Moms: 52 Companions for Your Heart, Mind, Body and Soul by Lisa Hendey for meditations this year. I have been really enjoying it and recommend it.
I have had many revelations through the scripture in the book. I like reading the short verses Hendey puts in for daily meditations. I usually open my Bible and read on further and ask: What is the context of this passage? What does it mean to the author? To the time it was written? To the Church and the fulfillment of the prophecy of Jesus Christ? To me? It can be a wonderful meditation when I allow time for it.
Lately, I have been pondering sanctifying grace and how it is apparent in my life. I have many opportunities for accepting God's grace through parenting and homemaking. Each time there is a challenge at home, whether it be a child who doesn't want to do school work, a little one who needs a tremendous amount of "mom-time" or even a broken appliance, there is a twinkling moment for actual grace. I have a choice to thank Jesus for that moment or grumble and complain or even lose it.
I have found that when I thank Jesus for that moment, it becomes less...less bothersome, less aggravating, or less stressful. It is a moment to grow closer to God. When I am upset over asking one child to feed the dog four or five times in one morning, I think about how often God has asked me to do something and I have either forgotten or said "no" outright.
Honestly, reflecting on these challenges and really trying to understand myself and my children better happens when I am having a good day. It can be difficult to practice all the time. Emotions boil over, tiredness and stress creep in, but the grace is always there for the taking. God wants us to be sanctified. Thankfully, there will always be more opportunities, apologies, forgiveness and, God-willing, another day with my family.
Remembering God's offer of grace can be relatively easy. One friend hangs post-it notes of the Beatitudes and prayers by the laundry, refrigerator, etc. Another friend often says "Yes, Jesus." which is a beautiful reminder to conform to the Father's will. I have been saying little aspirations (short prayers)..."Yes, Jesus...Thank you, Jesus...I want to serve You through this family...Thank You for this house....Thank You for the gift of home schooling...Thank You for these wonderful children...Prince of Heaven-pray for me..."
I think I am going to post the Beatitudes as well. It can only help :)
p.s. I promise to talk about something else in the next post. I have really been enjoying reflecting on this in writing though and wanted to share.

Comments