Dear Seventeen-year-old Self (Inspired)

Dear Seventeen-year-old Self,

Have more fun in high school but study a lot harder. You really could use a scholarship. Student loans are a killer.

Give your coach an extra hug before your last swim meet. He will get cancer. He will die.

Change the day and location of your graduation party. You will feel hurt and lose friends if you don't. In fact, group it with a bunch of friends and have a blast.

Visit your cousin Matthew before he joins the Navy. He goes. He loves it. But you need to have lots and lots of fun with him before you are 30. He will get cancer. He will die in 2007. Your heart will burn every time you think of him, even four years after he dies but that's okay. He's better now. He has healed fully in Heaven.

Work hard during the summer before and between college. Travel if you can.

Michigan State University isn't a mistake. You think it is, but it will make you tougher. You are still trying to appreciate that now.

Go to Montana State University your last year in college. Take the chance. It won't get any simpler from here on out.

Don't rent that apartment with Ted. He's a creepy roommate.

Don't get a credit card. Ever.

You will never like beer. Wine and whiskey on the other hand...

Get help during the winter. It's okay. Clouds and snow suck. You just need to find a way to get through it every year.

Call your younger cousin Kimmy. She might not need you but you need to call her and let her know that you love her. She will die too young. Your heart will break for her family.

You will marry your best friend. Appreciate that more.

Your mom rocks.

You need your dad. You do.

Love your sisters. Even Kelly.

Love more. Let yourself be loved more.

Dance more. Sing more. Laugh out loud more. Buy stock in Apple.

Don't worry about me. I am fine. I am happy. I have four children who are wonderful and funny. They are so beautiful. You can't even imagine. I know you have tried but this is nothing compared to what you thought it would be. They are all healthy. That's all you need to know. I don't want to spoil it for you.

I know you won't be able to read this. But I need to be reminded to take chances, live better, and love more. Time moves faster than what you think so live it fully.

Love,
J

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love you J. You are such a talented writer. This brought tears to my eyes. You inspire me.

-Jes

Popular Posts