School books ordered!
I know I am a total nerd: I get so excited when it comes time to order curriculum for the boys. I'd love to say that I am going rogue and making up our school year, but alas that's not happening.
However, I am making two programs blend into one. We are using Catholic Heritage Curricula and Mother of Divine Grace this year for Noah. Matthew is using CHC and Sonlight history (we have that program through 2nd grade). We decided not to use Sonlight again for Noah because we wanted more of an authentic Catholic program. Last year, we skipped a couple of books due to the "anti-Catholic" material. So basically we wasted money.
I have had the opportunity to look through a couple of other moms' material. This has made a tremendous difference in what we've chosen to do this coming year.
Our school plan:
Faith/Religion: a little of MODG and CHC
Math: Horizons (N and M)
History: MODG (N) and Sonlight (M)
Language Arts: CHC (N and M)
Latin: MODG (N)
Science: CHC (N and M)
Geography: MODG (N) and Sonlight (M)
Art: MODG (N and M)
Music: MODG (N and M)
PE: well...playing, AYSO, horseback riding and PE that they get in our co-op
We really try to stay on a schedule but also move with the ebb and flow of life here. We have lots going on during the school year: co-op, ASYO, horseback riding, play dates, outings, etc. so we can't be rigid. Also, we chose to home school so that we wouldn't have to be rigid and identical to a "real" school. We love life learning, but I also recognize our family need for a little structure.
I hope to have all of our books in by mid-August! Very exciting :)
However, I am making two programs blend into one. We are using Catholic Heritage Curricula and Mother of Divine Grace this year for Noah. Matthew is using CHC and Sonlight history (we have that program through 2nd grade). We decided not to use Sonlight again for Noah because we wanted more of an authentic Catholic program. Last year, we skipped a couple of books due to the "anti-Catholic" material. So basically we wasted money.
I have had the opportunity to look through a couple of other moms' material. This has made a tremendous difference in what we've chosen to do this coming year.
Our school plan:
Faith/Religion: a little of MODG and CHC
Math: Horizons (N and M)
History: MODG (N) and Sonlight (M)
Language Arts: CHC (N and M)
Latin: MODG (N)
Science: CHC (N and M)
Geography: MODG (N) and Sonlight (M)
Art: MODG (N and M)
Music: MODG (N and M)
PE: well...playing, AYSO, horseback riding and PE that they get in our co-op
We really try to stay on a schedule but also move with the ebb and flow of life here. We have lots going on during the school year: co-op, ASYO, horseback riding, play dates, outings, etc. so we can't be rigid. Also, we chose to home school so that we wouldn't have to be rigid and identical to a "real" school. We love life learning, but I also recognize our family need for a little structure.
I hope to have all of our books in by mid-August! Very exciting :)

Comments