Cloth Diapers: a metamorphasis toward conscience parental choices

I am passionate about many things that are better for the environment, family, children, babies and our future generations...this is just one of them :)

If you would have asked me nine years ago if I was going to use cloth diapers for my children I probably would have laughed and thought you were crazy. Why would anyone choose cloth diapers over the conveniently packaged and easily disposable store-bought diapers? Heck, for the first child this is the way I decided to go. This was until I had a break through of the tree-hugging sort. (It wouldn't be the last break through either.)

I investigated why someone would want to wash their child's diapers when they could just as easily throw it away. I saw no problem with that...after all they will go into a landfill right? Well, yes they will but then they NEVER biodegrade. Never means never. So the diaper that I threw in the plastic wrapped "genie" eight years ago is still sitting in the landfill. To make matters worse, now there are little baggies that you can wrap your already never-going-to-biodegrade-diaper in. I am sure my grandchildren will thank me.

Disposables are LADEN with chemicals. Every time you diaper your sweet little gift from God, you wrap him in chemicals. I don't know about you but wrapping my child in plastic and chemicals for up to three years of his life has no appeal. Also, the airflow is gone when you have plastic wrapped around baby instead of breathable natural cotton. Think about it...what would you rather wear?

Cloth diapers are reusable of course which saves you money and leaving little impact on the environment. Old cloth diapers can be used for cleaning rags. They are also a fraction of the cost of disposable diapers. So if the environmental plea doesn't get to you then maybe the money will.

Finally, what of stewardship to God's earth? We are entrusted with His gift to us so let us strive do the best we can. This should actually be our first concern with everything we do that affects the environment.

Some things that might be going through your mind:

More Laundry...really?
Well, if you think that 2 to 3 loads per week is extra laundry then perhaps you should reevaluate (or offer it up!). It's not really anymore time than all the other hours you will spend on laundry with your little one. If it really bothers you though, look into a diaper service.

Don't babies get rashes with cloth?.
Well, let me problem solve this one. It's either 1) not changing baby frequently enough (you have to change a cloth diaper more often...and for good reason! what person would feel comfortable sitting in their own excrement for more than any given time?) 2) they aren't washed properly or 3) the wrong kind of soap or too much of it is being used.

Won't I use lots of water to clean them?

Technology is wonderful--especially the waste water treatment center where our water is recycled back into clean water. There are also more efficient washing machines now. Or, you could boil them first and cut out the pre-rinse.

They are inconvenient.
How? Diapers are a fact of life (unless you EC--which I know little about but you can google "elimination communication") Cloth or disposable: you will still have to deal with poo.

Now let me ask: can you conscientiously choose disposable diapers when you know there is a better alternative for your baby, your wallet, and the environment?

ps cloth diaper baby bottoms are cuter.

Comments

Popular Posts