Anne, Written Letters and Technology
I have been reading the series Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I decided that I would read it after I watched the first three movies. The book is always better and this is no exception. There is something about Anne and her story that makes me want to move off to P.E.I (as she lovingly refers to it) and live as near to Green Gables as possible.
Many things in our age don't live up to the beautiful of the early 20th century. After reading the first two novels, I actually grieved over the loss of the education system (yes-I am talking about that one-room schoolhouse). I felt despair that our children won't grow in an age that was innocent and beautiful. Men were men and little boys wanted to grow to be gentlemen and find a trade that they loved (college or otherwise). Women were polite, hospitable, could go to college and have careers-but family was first. I would love to have my children grow in the time of Anne.
But that is not to be. It has confirmed why we home school and certain arts that I want to take back.
One of those arts is the art of letter writing. With the prevalent e-mail forever cursing "snail-mail," I have found it lacking. Email lacks all the things written letters evoke. Written letters aren't simply shot off without care, rather they are thoughtful and allow the recipient to enjoy at leisure. There is something about receiving a handwritten letter that is more personal and filled with more personality.
I have found that I write more content, wit and depth when I pen a letter. I feel like I am in revolt of technology but I have decided to hand write more, email-facebook-blog less. How can I possibly blog less? Well, I think you understand what I mean. I want to sew or knit our clothes. I want to get my hands into my own cookie dough and bread. I want to read a paper book. I want to correspond with people over long letters that only one kindred spirit would write to another...
Many things in our age don't live up to the beautiful of the early 20th century. After reading the first two novels, I actually grieved over the loss of the education system (yes-I am talking about that one-room schoolhouse). I felt despair that our children won't grow in an age that was innocent and beautiful. Men were men and little boys wanted to grow to be gentlemen and find a trade that they loved (college or otherwise). Women were polite, hospitable, could go to college and have careers-but family was first. I would love to have my children grow in the time of Anne.
But that is not to be. It has confirmed why we home school and certain arts that I want to take back.
One of those arts is the art of letter writing. With the prevalent e-mail forever cursing "snail-mail," I have found it lacking. Email lacks all the things written letters evoke. Written letters aren't simply shot off without care, rather they are thoughtful and allow the recipient to enjoy at leisure. There is something about receiving a handwritten letter that is more personal and filled with more personality.
I have found that I write more content, wit and depth when I pen a letter. I feel like I am in revolt of technology but I have decided to hand write more, email-facebook-blog less. How can I possibly blog less? Well, I think you understand what I mean. I want to sew or knit our clothes. I want to get my hands into my own cookie dough and bread. I want to read a paper book. I want to correspond with people over long letters that only one kindred spirit would write to another...

Comments